DUCA is looking for a stand-alone Payroll Specialist to independently lead and process payroll and benefits adminisrtation services for all employees. We're looking for a payroll expert who is dedicated to delivering an excellent employee experience and is passionate about building and maintaining best-practice payroll procedures in a growing organization!
Job Purpose & Summary
Reporting to the AVP, People & Culture, the stand-alone Payroll Specialist is responsible for independently providing accurate and on-time payroll and benefit administration services to the organization. This involves processing HRIS and payroll entries for salaried and hourly paid employees, ensuring compliance with all applicable legislative and organization guidelines, documenting controls-based procedures, and producing regular and ad-hoc reports related to payroll.
As the first point of contact for employees’ payroll related questions, the Payroll Specialist plays a key role in creating a positive employee experience by providing clear and robust answers in a timely manner while taking ownership for resolution of any issues.
Key Accountabilities & Duties
- Updates and maintains employee records in the HRIS; processes all status changes and internal moves by payroll related deadlines; prepares import files for uploading to payroll
- Prepares and enters all payroll transactions accurately and in accordance with established payroll deadlines; balances payroll entries and prepares the files for audit
- Maintains and organizes payroll records in a secure manner; recommends best practices for payroll related processes; creates and maintains controls-based payroll procedure documents
- Produces all regular payroll related reports; submits pension contribution remittances; prepares GL uploads for Finance and assists in resolving discrepancies
- Responds to employee inquiries about individual pay issues, deductions, taxable benefits etc.; prepares confirmation of employment letters
- Processes group benefit plan enrollments, changes, and terminations; reconciles invoices and prepares cost breakdown report for Finance; manages the overage dependent process
- Manages all payroll related year-end activities; reconciles taxable benefit and pension adjustment reports; prepares T2200 and coordinates the process to obtain updated TD1/TD1X forms
Occupational Experience & Education Requirements
- Post-secondary education in Finance, Business, or a related field
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification required
- 3 to 5 years’ full cycle Canadian payroll experience
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Comprehensive and advanced level knowledge of Canadian payroll requirements
- Experience with Desjardins EmployerD payroll and Sigma-HR HRIS systems an asset
- Expert computer skills in MS Excel, MS Word
- High level of integrity with the ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information with a high degree of professionalism
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively within a team and throughout the organization
- Critical thinking and analytical skills with a focus on problem solving and continuous improvement
- Meticulous attention to detail and very strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Normal office environment
- Periods of high volume with tight timelines and hard deadlines
Department: People & Culture
Primary Location: Head Office - 5290 Yonge St., North York, ON
Employment Status: Full-Time
Hours per Week: 38
Job Grade Level: 7
DUCA exists to help people do more, be more and achieve more with their money and their lives. We’re driven by a co-operative philosophy that puts our Members (and Owners) at the centre of every decision we make, gives them a voice in how we’re run, and rewards them for their loyalty by sharing our profits.
At DUCA, we’re dedicated to creating a positive environment where our employees have growth and development opportunities, a healthy work/life balance, opportunities to give back to the community, and a focus on doing what is right for our Members. DUCA offers a competitive total compensation package including base salary, a short-term incentive (bonus) program, a comprehensive benefits program, pension plan, and employee banking benefits.
DUCA is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Recruitment related accommodations will be provided upon request.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their application. Applications must include both a resume and cover letter.
We thank all applicants but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.